Don't these police officers have any real criminals to hunt down????
This article makes just turned 18 Tyler Kost look like the worst rapist since Jack the Ripper.
I suspect the only crimes Tyler Kost is guilty of is having consensual sex with his high school girl friends. Which is a victimless crime and certainly should not cause him to be sent to prison. Nor do his victimless crimes justify spending hundreds of thousands of our tax dollars on cops and prosecutors to investigate the crimes and prosecute them.
San Tan Valley student accused of sex crimes faces 27 felony charges
Vianka Villa and Jim Walsh, The Republic | azcentral.com 8:38 a.m. MST May 8, 2014
The former San Tan Valley high school student accused of a series of sex crimes was formally charged with 27 felonies in a grand-jury indictment that includes allegations of child molestation and sexual abuse of a minor, Pinal County Attorney Lando Voyles announced Thursday morning.
Voyles held a news conference in Florence to detail the charges against 18-year-old Tyler Kost and again encourage victims to report crimes.
Pinal County teen bailed out Monday; back in jail after sheriff says more victims came forward.
Additional victims have steadily helped investigators build the case against Kost, who was suspended from Poston Butte High School following his late April arrest.
Kost was originally arrested April 28 based on the allegations of one victim, and jailed on suspicion of two counts of sexual assault and two counts of sexual conduct with a minor.
But Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu said there were likely more victims and encouraged them to meet with sheriff's investigators.
By Friday, at least 10 victims had agreed to share their allegations with investigators and prosecutors.
The Pinal County grand jury on Wednesday returned an indictment that involved 11 victims who accused Kost of a series of sex crimes beginning in October 2009 and going through April.
The victims range in age from 12 to 17, Voyles said
The indictment accused Kost of three counts of sexual abuse with a minor under the age of 15 and six counts of sexual conduct with a minor under the age of 15. The document also included one count of child molestation and 17 counts of sexual assault, sexual abuse or sexual conduct with a minor over the age of 15.
Though Kost, who turned 18 in January, was a minor for much of that period, Voyles said he would stand trial as an adult for all of the charges.
"Once an individual turns 18 they now face the consequences of the adult system," Voyles said. "That includes anything that may have happened prior to that."
Tyler Kost was held without bond after a court hearing on Friday when a judge weighed the allegations in a sheriff's investigators charging document that listed nine victims who claimed Kost had assaulted them beginning in 2011.
Prior to Kost's court appearance last week, Babeu spent nearly an hour detailing the newest set of allegations against Kost, some of which center on the ages of the victims and Kost's age at the time of the alleged crime.
But the sheriff also cautioned against the notion that the allegations were based purely on the ages of the victims and the suspect, stating repeatedly that Kost had committed crimes of violence against the girls and followed up with overt threats to keep the victims silent.
Kost knew the girls involved in the most recent allegations and dated several of them, Babeu said.
Defense attorney Joey Hamby lashed out at Babeu during the court appearance, after videotaping Babeu's news conference.
Hamby asked for a gag order against Babeu and the sheriff's office, that the agency be removed from the case and for a change of venue to protect Kost's right to a fair trial.
He said the Sheriff's Office did not initially provide the judge with "any factual evidence" that a sexual assault occurred.
Babeu "made a statement that Mr. Kost is a serial rapist before there is finding of probable cause," Hamby said.
Babeu said the crimes started three years ago, when Kost was a juvenile and continued after he turned 18.
There were delays in reporting the some of the sexual activity, which Babeu said would prevent prosecutors from having access to some types of physical evidence. But the text messages and social-media exchanges between Kost and some of the victims will be crucial to proving the allegations, Babeu said.
Kost was accused of threatening at least one victim, harassing her and telling her to kill herself, according to Sgt. Pat Ramirez, a sheriff's spokesman.
Kost was formally suspended from Poston Butte High after his arrest on April 28, but Florence Unified School District Superintendent Amy Fuller said Kost had been taking online classes since February, after he came forward with his parents and claimed that some girls in the school were bullying him.
"He wasn't being bullied at all," Fuller said.