Americans United for Separation of Church and State

Greater Phoenix Chapter

Old Home Home Contact Us Upcoming
Events
Past
Events
Photos
Videos
Church State Issues Report Church State Violations Join
Email List
Leave
Email List
Membership Donations Request
Speaker
Take
Action
Legal
Resources
Facebook Meetup Links Send Letter to Editor

                                                                                                                       

Church State Issues

What if: Court allows same-sex marriage in Arizona?

Aug 3, 2014

Arizona Republic

Cathi Herrod, president of the Center for Arizona Policy or Cathi Harrod as I have been calling her A hate filled message from Cathi Herrod at the Center for Arizona Policy on why Gays should be treated as 2nd class citizens???
Cathi Herrod - "It's truly alarming when the democratic process can be superseded by judicial muscle"
I think what Cathi Herrod is saying is that 51% of the people can vote to enslave the other 49% percent of the people.

That's wrong. That's why we have Constitutions which say the folks in the minority have rights that can't be taken away by a vote of the majority.


What if: Court allows same-sex marriage in Arizona?

Arizona Republic columnist EJ Montini and reporter Richard Ruelas discuss Arizona's looming same-sex marriage ruling.

The Republic | azcentral.com 1:42 p.m. MST August 2, 2014

Experts: Civil rights would triumph if gay marriage was legal in Arizona. Or voters' will would be discarded. Who's right?

A federal judge is expected to rule soon on the constitutionality of Arizona law recognizing marriages only between one man and one woman.

We asked two experts: What if the courts allow same-sex marriage in Arizona?

LAST WEEK: What if Obamacare subsidies die?


CIVIL RIGHTS WOULD TRIUMPH

Tom Simplot

We need to call it what it is, marriage equality. There is no "opposite-sex marriage" or "same-sex marriage" or "black-white marriage." We are working towards creating the same basic civil and human rights for us all. Plain and simple.

When we reach full equality in Arizona, hundreds (if not thousands) of families with gay and lesbian parents will gain equal protections under the law. Children of gay and lesbian parents will no longer be at risk and their family status will be recognized by the Courts.

Hundreds of committed and loving same-sex partners will be seen as equal. And just as important, gay couples will gain state and federal legal benefits awarded all other members of our society. Marriage is a contract, recognized by the state, one which everyone should benefit from.

Most importantly, gay and lesbian Arizonans will have the equal human rights they deserve. After decades of fighting for equality, LGBT individuals will be treated fair and equal under the law.

Tom Simplot is the first openly gay member of the Phoenix City Council.


VOTERS' WILL WOULD BE DISCARDED

Cathi Herrod

Cathi Herrod, president of the Center for Arizona Policy or Cathi Harrod as I have been calling her Six years ago, 1,258,355 Arizonans voted to protect marriage as the union of one man and one woman. [if 1,258,355 Arizonans voted that Blacks should be slaves would that also make it right???]

Today the fate of the will of these voters lies in the hands of one judge.

The debate surrounding the meaning and purpose of marriage is raging in classrooms, coffee houses, churches and homes across the country. Yet advocates of same-sex marriage are working to stifle honest debate by using the courts to force their ideology upon the nation.

If we're able to separate the super-charged rhetoric from what's actually happening in other states — and what could happen in Arizona — we'd all agree that a dangerous precedent is being set.

It's truly alarming when the democratic process can be superseded by judicial muscle — when one man's opinion can overrule 1.2 million votes. [Would Cathi Herrod support slavery if the 60% White population voted to enslave the 1 or 2 percent Black population in Arizona???]

Yet the subversion of the democratic process only scratches the surface of the consequences of the courts redefining marriage.

This would be another step to deny a child the crucial — and sociologically vital — bond between either their biological mom or dad.

Redefining marriage also puts many people of faith in the position of choosing between their occupations or their religious convictions. As we've seen in other states, religious freedom is discarded when marriage is redefined.

But if marriage is redefined, it will certainly not be the final word. As a friend in the first state that re-defined marriage, Massachusetts, said, "those who say that a traditional view of marriage puts one on the wrong side of history simply have a very short view of history." This debate has just begun.

Cathi Herrod is president of the Center for Arizona Policy.